Saturday, April 13, 2013

Tutorial: Simple Shorts





When I first started sewing about 5 months ago the very first project I worked on was a pair of sleep shorts. I watched lots of tutorials and read lots of patterns and from that knowledge I made my own. I tweaked and twerked it until I loved it and now I think it is my job to share that knowledge with you. Be prepared I took a  ton of photos. I need photos to learn so I hope you enjoy! If anything isn't clear or you would like further instructions please leave a comment down below and I would be happy to help!

Things you need:



  • 1 Yard of fabric of your choice
  • 1 pair of sleep shorts that you love the look of
  • chalk
  • scissors
  • sewing machine
  • elastic or ribbon (optional, in this tutorial I used a sash to tie the pants but you can use elastic or ribbon)



This is my fabric which I found for a steal at walmart!

First find your sleep shorts you love and fold them crotch out! I suggest cutting your fabric in half and laying both pieces on top of eachother so you only have to do this once! 


Now line the crotch up an inch away from the side of the fabric and trace around your shorts adding half an inch for seam allowance!

Now fold your shorts with the crotch on the inside and the butt out. Lay them against your outline butt to butt. Trace with your chalk.

Here is what you are left with! Now cut it out, PS if your shorts have an elastic waist band DON'T use that as the size of your waist as you can see I just drew in my own. And now, like magic, you have two of these because you cut through 2 layers of fabric!


Now sew up the side seams but NOT THE CROTCH. 




Now separate the two layers but taking hold of each one in the top middle, pull apart and VOILA a pair of shorts appear!


Now sew up the crotch like so....


Next we are going to hem those sloppy bottoms! So just fold the bottom cuffs 1/2 an inch and sew around like this.


Now we are going to work on the waist! Fold the waistband down 1 3/4 in and sew around it like so...


Cut two small holes in the front of the waist band where the ribbon/sash will come through. Now attach a safety pin on the end of your sash and feed it through the waistband! 

And YOU ARE DONE!!



Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment