Monday, April 29, 2013

Tutorial: Simple Skirt

I have been searching high and low for a basic flowy summer skirt and I could never find one that I was in love with! So here I am...making my own and I do LOVE it. 


Lets start with making our pattern! Pull out your pattern paper or in my case white wrapping paper (MUCH cheaper), your measuring tape and a marker. 

Okay start by measuring your hips (the widest part of your butt) then add 10"! (Mine is 39+10) Now divide by 4 (12.5). If you want your skirt more flowy add more than 10 and more fitted add less than 10! 

Okay do you have your hip measurement? Draw a line that long on your piece of paper! 

Now for the length, start wherever you want your skirt to sit and drop it down to where you want it to end, got it? Mine is 20". Which is knee length for me. Now add 2.5 inches. Now draw that in as your length, all we are doing is creating a rectangle!

Mine is 12.5" x 23.5". Have I lost you yet?



I went ahead and labeled mine because I know I will use this pattern to death. Label one long side "Cut on Fold", The short sides "Waist" and the other long side "Length" if you are saving this pattern :)


Excuse that I keep switching fabrics, I am really not it just looks like that because every time I have made this skirt I have snapped pictures! So lay your pattern on your fabric with the long side on the fold and cut around it, don't worry about seam allowance it has been added in (1/2"). Now do the same thing again and you should have 2 rectangles and when you open them it will be 2 squares!



Now sew up the side seams....which I apparently didn't take a picture of. And now fold up the bottom 1", sew around!


Fold the top down 1.5" and sew around, leaving a 2" gap for elastic! 

Now just use measure your waist and cut a piece of elastic that is your waist measurement +  1"! 
Feed the elastic through with a safety pin and sew the 2 ends together, now sew that gap you left on the hem! Sorry for no pictures, an in depth elastic tutorial is coming soon :)


And now you are finished! A basic flowy skirt! I will do a pockets tutorial soon, you can change up the waist band by stretching the elastic while you are sewing it directly on the skirt and creating a ruffle as you go! I did this on the checkered skirt!


And HERE is the finished product! Easy Huh?



Oops....





Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment