Sunday, October 6, 2013

Tutorial: Easy Zippered Pouch

This tutorial is going to be one of the easiest I have ever done, I will show you how to insert a zipper in the easiest way possible. Just be aware that I am not good at sewing in a straight line on a zipper. Don't judge me, Any tips?

First you will need 2 fabrics that sorta kinda go together....or not at all! Just 2 fabrics that you fancy! You will need the length to be twice the size you want it +1" and the width the be the width you want it +1/2". You will be sewing at a 1/2" seam allowance. 

So here are my 2 fabrics!



Now place the right sides together and sewing around leaving a small hole, turn inside out and poke the corners out.



Now top stitch around folding the raw edges of the hole in. 


Now flip up the length with the fabric you want on the outside inside. Sew across with a half inch seam allowance. Iron out your seams and place the zipper on the flat seam, trim the excess. 


Pin the zipper along the sides and sew down, make sure you sew through your seam allowances and across the bottom of the zipper!




See my screwy sewing? What can I say? I can't sew in a straight line. Notice how I also have not trimmed the excess zipper. I am a lazy sewer. 


Now turn inside out and rips the stitches from where you sewed across! TADA! There is your zipper!


Now turn back inside out and decide where you want your zipper, I decided I wanted a classic zipper pouch so mine is at the top, Sew both side seams. 






Make sure you open the zipper a bit before sewing the side seams so you can turn inside out!



Turn inside out, poke out the corners and that's it! The great thing is these are so easy, require next to no materials and you can use them for so many things!







That's it! Enjoy and as always Happy sewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment